Monday, December 25, 2006

Of Exams and Earworms

Before I start off barking about on how good(or bad) my exams went, I must first thank two characters that frequent the stone benches on the ground floor in our college. They are Arun M and Raja Deepak. They were of a great help in the days before each exam. I spent a lot of hours on the phone with them while they patiently explained the nuances of such things like microprocessor programming and query processing and the design of Turing Machines. Of course I raked up a huge bill, but thats a different story altogether.

Now let me start barking proper. I have a huge problem with earworms. A lot of people do have it, I know, but mine is especially bad considering the songs that get stuck in my head. In case you didnt know, or hadnt deduced by now, an earworm is a song that gets stuck in your head and repeats itself over and over annoyingly. How wonderful it would be if earworms would be something soothing, or good to hear. How nice would it be to get something like Hotel California or Yanni stuck in your head. I get the Hotel California stuck in my head only when I try to remember what my usual earworm is!! Talking about my usual earworm, it happens to be a pure dappankuthu song (composed by Deva obviously) from the film Bhagavathi. Its the Coca-Cola brown colour da tune. It happens to me so often that I am playing heavy metal now on full volume, despite it being 1:30 in the night, scared that I might get it.

Earworms are especially irritating during exams. During our practicals, I went in to pick up a sheet before the DBMS thing and suddenly the song started off ominously. Coca-Cola brown colour da, yaen akka ponnum adhey colour da. Sitting down in my place the I hear the song continuing, Coffee la bunna amukku da, andha combination romba dhool da. I write queries access tables, and the song continues full blast, Ayyo jillunu en allu patha da... I am at my wits end. Somehow I manage to finish everything off without mishap, and go and sit for the viva. The external was a woman wearing a green sari. She asked me to sit down and looked at me for a couple of seconds. The song which had been on pause for some time started off on a different stanza, Hey paccha podavai othu pakkudhu.
"What are the ACID properties?", she asked. I look at my own internal, a guy in his thirties, sitting next to her. The song continues. Purushan kooda irundhum enna pakkudhu, machi machi machi.
"The ACID properties are.. um.. "Podaango, podaango...

I managed to grin my way out of the viva. The next two practicals too were of the same case, with me struggling with programs, vivas, and earworms.

Ten or so days later, we had to take our theory exams. Ten days I'd wasted playing cricket and now I started to regret. First exam was DBMS. I looked at the question paper, and I knew I would clear it. I finished it off, of course with the song playing in the background. Same was the case with the networks exam. The third exam was something called Theory of Computation. It primarily deals with the work of one Mr.Alan Mathison Turing in an obscure field where mathematicians work with computer engineers to produce a race of super-boring people. Turing, I noticed with some glee, had been arrested for being a homosexual. Serves him right. Two days before the exam, we went off to play cricket. The only thing worth mentioning about this piece of absolute irresponsibility happens to be that I managed to hit a rasping square drive of the bowling of Vinod, one of the fastest ever, with all the elegance of Rahul Dravid. I reached the highest point of my life. One-fourth of a second later, Seshu casually bent down to pick up the ball, and I was caught out. I reached the lowest point of my life. The syllabus of TOC being what it was, I purchased two books at the last minute, and fell asleep with three books propped open in front of me. I went to the exam hall, and suddenly found that my brain had bought woofer speakers to enhance my earworm.

Next exam was something called Microprocessors and Microcontrollers, affectionately called Mu.P. Why someone would regard a microprocessor with any affection still remains a mystery though. I wrote the exam well, though I screwed up on an essay question. The next exam was called Discrete Mathematics. This paper was suppossedly easy, as it was a combination of binary manipulation, modern algebra, and a whole lot of other general mish-mash that we had all suppossedly come across before. I sweated the exam out, and came out feeling absolutely rotten. Last exam was something called Principles of Management. I spent the whole of the three days playing cricket, and when I opened the book at 6 pm the day before, I realized much to my horror that I'd underestimated the whole thing. Frantically, I mugged up the important bits, only to be told the next morning that they were all not in the syllabus. I wrote whatever I could think of that any self respecting manager would do, and managed to fill up thirty odd pages of total nonsense. Deva of course kept me company with his "exhilarating" tunes.

Ten days have passed since. They have gone in a complete blur. I have no idea what I have done or what I proposed to do. The rest of the holidays, I am sure are going to run out in the same way. Oh, and its Christmas now. Merry Christmas.

Yours earwormially,
Sundar.
WIYOATS!!

22 comments:

Prasanna said...

hi mach i am the first one to comment on this blog.u written whatever i faced during my exam instead of playing cricket i watched some movies

Prasanna said...

hi mach i am the first one to comment on this blog.u written whatever i faced during my exam instead of playing cricket i watched some movies anyway merry christmas............

raja said...

gud post.. we did spend a lot of time in the morning enjoying life in the name of studying.. keep rocking n merry xmas..

Marc said...

What stuck in my mind when it was studying for the exam was this:

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

It actually made me feel better when it was feeling low.

Anonymous said...

i know... earworms are quite annoying but i guess we need to learn to put up wiht htem.. an btw your post this time kept me engrossed for almost of half of its length(so i guess its better this time) :p

"v"-know-who

Sundar said...

@ Prasanna
Yeah I think we were all pretty lackadaisical in our attitude..

@ Raja
thx and same to you..

@ Marc
Thats bad.

@ V
So its an improvement.

vijay said...

I too hav those ki9nd of problems da... But in my case the latest songs are downloaded as earworms and they keep changing...

navneeth said...

gud post the song that got stuck in my head was a particular sentence turning turning from lemon tree during mup pracs my expt was stepper motor gud post
see u next year

Sundar said...

@ Vijay..
Cool

@ Navneeth
You didnt manage to turn your stepper motor did you?

Anonymous said...

no but i managed to .........eh?.........

Sundar said...

@ Anonymous
You managed to do what? stutter?

Mahesh said...

pacha pudava matteru superda...good relatin of events and the song...i always remember to remember a song as earworm but i forget to remember it...hee...hee

Sundar said...

I feel honoured that Mahesh the great has commented in my blog...

Dogastray said...

ha ha ...

Looks like Cse guys like kuthu songs ...my earworm was kamma kamma from godfather but for all wrong reasons ...
good one wiyoats

Dogastray said...

hi sundar.. sorry for what happened in srm valliammai... i shouldnt have done that .. my reason of joining the quiz was to irritate the guy called bala ... this wont happen again ..ever after ...

urs quizzically
sambashiva a.k.a thangaprakash

Sundar said...

tch forgiven

krishna said...

:-D !!!!!!!!

Doctor said...

Yo thundar... Excellent post... Tch forgiven???? I think you heard from hari what happened in the next quiz.... I wont forget that ever...

Sundar said...

Tch forgiven is an od freak of nature... it is something like wiyoats or for that matter the lowly splothiki.

wiyoats
Sundar.

bragey said...

excellent post.. very hilarious.. i may say its one of your best posts.. I am done with all prac exams for now.. gonna miss all the fun.. And I guess theres a fictional element in the post.. did all this happen exactly as mentioned in the post.. like the strategic earworming of pacha podavai..

Sundar said...

hey what i was trying to say is that she was sitting too close to the internal fellow for comfort

Anonymous said...

Hadn't checked your blog in a while.. this is a really hilarious piece.. laughed reading all through till the end.. and thx for introducing me to the term earworm.. always wondered if there was a word for it.. though I am familiar with the phenomenon for many years now. Love the way you write, in all.