Monday, March 26, 2007

Trick or treat.

Sunday, the 18th of March was not a special day in any way. The sun rose up in the east, I slept late and my PC crashed. It had all the characteristics of a perfectly ordinary day. The only special thing was that I was supposed to treat my classmates for some reason. Well, they had asked, and being the magnanimous person that I am, I decided to. I started off from home and ended up at Raja's house an hour or so later after a journey by T51 feeling completely rotten (In case you didnt know what a T51 is, you'd better not know). Arun got me a lift from Thiruvanmiyur, and so it was Naveen, Navneeth, Praveen, Prashanth, Arun, Raja and me who were to go out. We had four two-wheelers between us. Arun's Nova, which he affectionately calls his girlfriend. He goes on and on about his exploits on it, and drives an inordinate amount of time on it doing God-knows-what. People however tend to privately confess that they feel it is a failure model. Navneeth came on his Scooty, a battered crying-for-mercy vehicle that always leaves a trail of spare parts on the road when you drive it, which I carefully avoided. Naveen and Praveen had vehicles in good condition, and so off we went to Adyar Ananda Bhavan.

Everyone except Praveen had starved themselves like hell and were ravenous as wolves. Praveen had made the huge blunder of stuffing himself with chicken at home and was pretty annoyed about it. Prashanth and Arun ordered something and started eating. Raja started off with his favourites, but later was found digging into adjacent plates. Naveen took a long time in deciding a type of food that didnt contain any of the substances he suppossedly was forbidden from eating. I of course pointed at the menu at random, as I was nonplussed as usual with all these chat items on offer, and ended up eating kachoris of some sort. We were making fools of ourselves in general, when along came Arun's uncle. Arun, breaking the conventional tradition of freezing on the spot when one spots one's relative while in the process of dipping one's hands into curd and squeezing them all over Raja's hair, went straight up to him, shook hands, curd and all, and embarked on a long discussion on the mileage his bike was giving. Then he went off to pat, hug, kiss and do God-knows-what with his uncle's dog. When he returned, his hands were quite clean I noticed.

Next, we set off to some place called "Fruitshop on Greams Road". This turned out to be a posh juice shop. I have never been to such places before, and was quite amazed by the number of people willing to pay exhorbitant amounts to have a glass of tasteless liquid. Well, I prefer Surya Cool Drinks, a shop a couple of streets away from my place where you could treat seven people comfortably with the amount you were expected to tip at this Greams road place. Anyway, we had come in, and sat around a corner table with much difficulty and dragging of chairs from adjacent tables. An oriental looking couple were dating in the corner and I had a tough time taking my eyes off the girl. So did Arun. So did Prashanth. So did Naveen. So did Navneeth. So did Praveen. So did not Raja. He was too obssessed with his drink to have noticed. He however looked in the general direction a couple of times, but I distinctly got the feeling he was looking at the guy. Of course there might be a perfectly logical explaination for that. Only it seems to have escaped my mind.

The next place we went off to was the beach. Arun managed to get one of Raja's sandals off his feet, and we spent a few minutes playing football with it, the only obstacle to our enjoyment being Raja himself, what with his chasing the ball everywhere and picking it up. We walked down to the water, when suddenly everyone started lifting each other up and posing for the photos. I managed to make myself scarce. Raja managed to lift Arun and posed for the camera. Problem was, Naveen was fumbling around with his camera and Raja couldnt take the strain any longer and let him down. Thus we ended up having no photos of a truely amazing spectacle. Arun picked Praveen up from the ground with ease, posed long enough while Naveen searched for the button and snapped a picture, and promptly dropped him three feet to the ground with a dull thud. Praveen spent the rest of the evening limping around cursing at every female in sight.

We spent some time checking out the girl in blue and the girl with the cute hairstyle when Raja said he wanted to have some Bajjis. So we had some bajjis, confused the vendor with our warped mathematics, paid in 100 Rupee notes, that had him cursing, and came out to Navneeth's house with night having long fallen. There we sang a happy birthday for Aparna, Navneeth's love interest so loudly that his parents came out to see what had happened and asked Navneeth who Aparna was. And so we left Navneeth fuming and dropped Raja back at his home. Naveen and Prashanth said bye and took off full speed homeward bound. Arun, Praveen and I went to the Reliance Grocery store, where Arun and Praveen extended their support to Team India's cause at the world cup by buying an India T-Shirt each. Needless to say, the next day Sri Lanka thrashed India by around a hundred runs a couple of days later.

Arun dropped me off at Thiruvanmiyur and zoomed away. I arrived home at 10 in the night feeling exhausted. I had missed a quiz Mahesh was going to host informally at Krishna's house.

Yours Not So Fruitfully,
Sundar.

WIYOATS.

20 comments:

Marc said...

Conclusion: Adyar-Besant Nagar is an awesome place to live in.

Conclusion 2: Raja is.. um... never mind.

Sundar said...

Conclusion 1. Dont agree.
Conclusion 2. Never mind.

vinod kumar said...

Now this is the post i was expecting from you dude... you rock INDAR... Keep it up...

bragey said...

nice post dude..i dont quite agree with calling what they serve at fruit shop on greams road as a tasteless liquid.. I say this as someone who has visited surya cool drinks.

Raja said...

well u had to do it.. didnt u? hw do u always manage to damage my name.. anyways vry gud post.. n we shud hav gone 2 ascendas n made u spend more..

Marc said...

I was in the area. Why wasn't I invited to spend Indar's money?

Sundar said...

@ Vinod...
You rock as well I-node

@ Bragey
You visited Surya? Never told me you rogue.

@ Raja
I am really not sorry about that. If you feel offended, please do feel free to feel offended.

@ Marc
You invite me to a treat of yours. You got placed in infosys and celebrated your birthday on the 6th of March.

Srivaths said...

good post da... very funny...

Anonymous said...

Yet another funny one. Of course, my personal favorite is the Earworm one. Try and post some pics too, to go with such episodes. Like this one for instance:
http://www.marathonfoto.com/order_assigned_photos.cfm?BFI=5h3r13jkkk&OID=12852007W1&BibNumber=24175&CustomerNumber=119727&Currency=USD&Language=en

Mahesh said...

hmmm...great day out there....for others..

Y go to fruit shop and all da...namaku surya and bishu...at max..daily fresh or samara.
Seri edho oru dhadavai thappu panitta.

I wont get angry on you for not comin to my quiz..but for the words u told the previous day that u wld come 4 sure.

Mahesh said...

plz keep the font size little bigger.

TD5M4PP3R said...

You guys jump to conclusions about my bike without knowing the truth.

#1. My bike is in no way a failure. Just because I keep spending on it, its no way a failure. I spend on changing parts a lot like imported brake pads, light, air filters, oil filters .. Yes.. my bike is my GF.. I will spend on it !

#2: Brake pads can of course wear out in 10000 kms.

#3: WTF is wrong with 4 punctures in 10000 kms.. depends on the road. Places like madipakkam will of course strip your tyre apart.

#4: Make your bike give the same mileage as when you bought it, after 10000 kms, and we'll see which bike is the failure model. Mine gives 50 kmpl even today

#5: To people : People have no manners commenting to the entire college about a bike which drops a friend home virtually everyday and picks up another from TMVR depot.

#6: Which fucking scooter takes highway rides of about 30 kms thrice a week ?

#7: My bike doesnt even vibrate today.. Its as smooth as a car !

#8: Bad petrol quality can make your bike struggle.

#9: People who own a proper bike and maintain it in good condition can comment about my bike. Others, go fuck yourselves or some guy.

TD5M4PP3R said...

Good post.. very humorous.. and as Marc says, our area rocks !

navneeth said...

gud post
u know u suck don't u

Srik said...

tht was greatttttttt

Sundar said...

@ Srivaths
Thank you.

@Anonymous
I will post them pics as soon as I get em.

@ Mahesh.
Sorry da.. circumstance. :D

@ Tdsmapper
Your anger is very well justified. you are allowed to get angry if soeone abuses your girlfriend. Or so I think.

@Navneeth
You suck the most.

@ Srik
Thank you.

TD5M4PP3R said...

So.. you still feel my bike is a failure model. You don't seem to have said anything about that..

Smart alec

Sundar said...

Dude... your bike is not a failure model... you have convinced me of that... anyway, after three years of my acquaintance, how can you still give a damn to what I say? I suggest that you tell me to go stuff it...

That is the best thing to do.
Sundar.

P.S.Praveen said...

Wow, thats a really great post dude!!! Kalakra machi...

Anonymous said...

i have no words to say for this.
its one of the important part in my life to comment about a person like u.
i m very happy to comment about u.
our friendship must last for everever.
proceed ur path as it goes to acheive ur goal
life is to enjoy