Monday, May 05, 2008

The End is Near

Engineering is almost over. I only have 1 exam left, and a whole 20 days between now and then. I know that the whole 20 days are going to hurry past in a blurred frenzy of frenetic cricket, movie watching, and orkut-profile-surfing. So I thought I might as well make use of the time I had better use to study to blog about some of the things that happened in Engineering.

It all began with the announcement of the twelfth standard results. I was pretty happy with my score, but my mum and dad weren't impressed (A rather not unforeseen situation given that my total was a whole digit lesser than some of my friends). Anyway, we decided to start applying to colleges around the country. (It was at this time that my vague dreams of opening the batting for India at Lords', or becoming a fighter pilot, or becoming one of those black-suited gun waving womanizing secret agents you see so much of in the movies went phut). We ended up applying to a whole lot of colleges, and I ended up joining in the only college that bothered to reply. Anyway, having no idea what I wanted to do in life, I went and took up an engineering course in computer science because I had always 'liked' computers. The admission process was funny. The supremo looked up and down my application, my marksheet, and my (for the fast and last time) neatly polished shoes and said I was in.

And so it came to pass that on September 27, 2004, that I got into my college bus without a clue as to what lay in store. The day went by uneventfully, what with everyone making friends with everyone else (a few making enemies with everyone as well), and I went and got into the college bus that evening. Now, being a thin bespectacled runt runs the natural risk of attracting bullies, and before you could spell Gaston Leroux I was surrounded by no less than 14 seniors. Before long, I found myself happily gunning down passersby, driving scooters and pole dancing with the rest of my batchmates. After sometime, a big hulking final year decided that I'd done enough of the 'light' stuff, and called me in or personal questioning, and everyone (including 1st years) crowded around. Now since most of the questions tended to involve the sexual practices of the average human being, I wasn't taken out of my comfort zone too much. ;) Little did I realize at that time that I'd end up making some of my best friends among those seniors. It was also on the first day of college that I met one Mr. A. Raja Deepak, who immediately regaled me with a story of how he'd just seen his dream girl on the bus that morning (Little knowing he'd not progress one step ahead in the ensuing four years).

First half of first year went in a blurry haze, what with my grand-dad dying halfway through it, and me getting bad marks in all the exams that I'd done well in, and vice versa. The later part of the first year also went in a haze, of which I remember nothing except that I must have read The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy at least 42 times. Oh, and there was the tsunami too, that left everyone spell-bound.

Second year came, and with it, new found light-headedness. We went to a few symposiums (Raja would disappear behind some foliage with some female as soon as we set foot in a college) and we'd happily fool around. I ended up gradually bubbling up to the last bench of class where people would be pursuing a plethora of activities (ranging from reading books to playing TT. Yes Table Tennis). The down-side was that we'd be called to the HOD's office every now and then. Fourth semester was the most boring.

Third year, and we were seasoned warriors now. A few of us decided we'd had enough of attending college and we started attending every symposium in town (There are 250 Engineering colleges in TN, so not a tough ask) and I found that I always had a little luck when it came to quiz competitions (especially when it came to usurping Krishna's team when qualifying) and I won a few prizes for that. Having gone off to attend so many symposiums, my attendance was somewhere in the low forties and at the end of 5th and 6th semesters I spent many long hours haggling with the HOD for attendance. I also seriously considered (still am considering) asking out Raja's 'dream girl' because he didn't seem to want to do anything about it. We went on a tour too. It went in a different sort of haze. Oh, and I got a job offer too.

Final year came, and we were war veterans. Went on another tour, which was hazier still. There was a symposium which our department conducted, towards which I channeled none of my energies. Seventh semester went in a blink of an eye, and eighth semester came, and with it a new HOD. He ended up being my project guide too! I must not have gone to class more than ten days in the eighth semester. Then suddenly project review happened, and we barked our heads off. Then exams were on us, and we barked our heads off even more in the answer sheets. Anna University am sure, will bark their heads off while posting results. And I bark my head of in my blog.

Edit: All exams over. This was typed quite a few days ago.

14 comments:

Visu said...

Ahem, good post as usual. But you could have elaborated some incidents, at-least the ones involving Raja his 'rani'. :p
And yes, the four years passed just like that. I still remember drafting that metal piece out of the mud in the so called Engineering Practice Lab. It was fun.
Hmmm...

bragey said...

Na(O3)2 :).. good fun we had while ragging you..good luck

Sundar said...

Adada..

uleadin said...

didn't mention about your 'proposing' experience? :D

Sundar said...

What proposing experience?

Visu said...

Proposed what? Ah, that plan of new auditorium was yours huh? Good Good.

Sundar said...

No, the vote of thanks.

By the way, my physical education sir has a position called Director Of Physical Education. Everyone calls him DOPE.

srinath said...

opening for India at Lord's.. dont want to captain the team eh?

@ bragey
can u elaborate on Na(O3)2?

Vinod said...

Nice post as usual. It feels as if it was yesterday that we took up Engineering. 4 years passed by just like that and now here we are calling ourselves the so called Engineers.

Praveen said...

I suggest that you and Raja go to Archie's house together and propose to her (I can give you directions to her house if you want ;) ). See whose proposal she accepts! As for the guy whose proposal she rejects, he should feel himself LUCKY! Simple matter da!

Sundar said...

You accompany Raja on one of your hair-brained schemes.

And in any case she's better than Wooden Legs Esha any day.

Praveen said...

Dai, yaen Esha Vig Baby ah kora solradhukku unakku yogidham illai, coz both your hand and foot looks like they are made of drumsticks!

Marc said...

Better thin than obese.

I support this post because Raja Deepak is mentioned.

Raja Deepak said...

Cmon vry of the whole u all noticed nly the part abt her.. vry bad.. anyways nice post... We had fun ovr four yrs and did engineering side by side rite.. Was most entertaining..